Friday, October 19, 2012

Back to School Already

August 16, 2012

It's hard to believe that it's back-to-school time all over again. It seems like just yesterday I was writing articles about high school graduation. I guess time flies when you're melting from heat.
Going back to school, after a summer that never seemed long enough, was always a little rough on me. Prior to getting out for the summer, I always had these monumental plans of what I would do with my time off. Sometimes those things would get accomplished but, more often than not, I always wished I had a few more weeks. For stay-at-home parents, I'm sure it's a little bitter sweet. It's great to have the kids around all day, but I'm sure it's also a relief to get a little time to yourself. At least that's the joke those folks keep telling me.

Never-the-less, here we are. The school supplies are purchased and kids are working to make the most of their time left to stay up late, sleep in or just goof off. Come Monday though, Madison County kids will hop to it early and be back at the books. It should be an exciting year too. Out of the four schools in Huntsville, three will be under the guidance of new principals. Eric Miller has moved from his position as high school vice principal to principal at the intermediate school, and the high school and primary schools will now be under the watchful eyes of Lewis Villines and Matt Cook, respectively. From hearing them talk, I know that all three are very excited about embarking on their new endeavors.

Mike Cain, principal at Huntsville Middle School, celebrated stellar benchmark exam scores with his fellow educators on Thursday and said he's looking forward to a great year. In St. Paul, Principal Daisy Duerr is starting a really cool after school program that will offer a host of useful things for students and parents. Principal Marsha Shaver, in Kingston, will welcome students back to new renovations at their facilities along with a large group of new staff or staff filling totally new positions. Really, there are just too many things going on to name them all, and you'd be hard pressed to find a group of workers at any job more elated to get back to work.

We've experienced mildly cooler weather in the week past and that certainly got some minds daydreaming about the upcoming football season. In fact, Huntsville has their first scrimmage on Friday. See what I mean? There are a ton of reasons to be excited about back-to-school this year.
So, I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish parents, teachers, faculty and students (especially all the first time students) good luck on their first day of school. It's going to be a great first day and an even better year to come.

On a side note, I remember my first day of school quite vividly. I must have asked my mother 100 times whether she thought the teacher would send me home with homework. I wanted homework so badly. I've got to be honest though, that desire subsided pretty quickly.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment on Flippin's BLOG